Yoga Therapy is a healing modality provided by a certified yoga therapist who applies the principals of yoga to the individual.
Yoga therapy is both an art and a science, used to enhance health and wellness at all levels of the person: physical, psychological, and spiritual. As a highly trained yoga therapist, Joy seeks to create a journey of healing by selecting, adapting, and modifying yoga practices that are most beneficial for the individual or group in respect to age, culture, and specific physical challenges. In this manner, the art and science of yoga therapy enables students to tap into the wisdom and healing inherent within themselves.
Yoga therapy can be done sitting in a chair or using a yoga mat. The emphasis is not about “doing” the perfect posture, but rather “undoing” the places within where restriction, loss, and trauma are stored.
Using breath work, accessible poses, and meditation techniques, yoga therapy is used to relieve and support various conditions:
Benefits of Yoga Therapy
- Common Aches and Pains: feet and ankles, knees and hamstrings, hips, lower back, hands and wrists, neck and shoulders, sciatica
- Constriction or Hyperextension: muscles, fascia, nerves
- Misalignments: kyphosis, lordosis, asymmetrical hips, pronated feet, scoliosis
- Injuries: whiplash; strained muscles, tendons or ligaments; sprained joints (hip, knees, shoulder, ankle, elbow, wrist); prolapsed/slipped discs
- Post-Surgical: knees, hips, back
- Weight Gain or Loss: obesity and anorexia
- Arthritis: osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis
- Digestive Imbalances: irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, acid reflux, indigestion, constipation, diarrhea
- Chronic Conditions or Diseases: allergies, asthma, cancer recovery/remission, carpel tunnel syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, type II diabetes, fibromyalgia, hormonal imbalances, hypo/hyper- tension, hypo/hyperthyroid, incontinence, insomnia, stroke recovery
- Nervous Disorders: multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s
- Women’s Health: PMS, menstrual irregularities, pregnancy, infertility, pre/postnatal, menopause.
- Emotional Well Being: anxiety, depression, stress, grief or loss, PTSD
Yoga therapy can relieve discomfort and create more vitality.